ADDICTED TO PASSIVE SMOKING?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ADDICTED TO PASSIVE SMOKING?

Post  redsunset on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:07 am

Here is something to set the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons.

We are bombarded night and day by the anti-smoking lobby, and their friends in the Big Pharmaceutical Businesses, with propaganda telling us that nicotine is highly addictive, and the only way to kick the habit, is to buy their products, which include patches and other drugs, which also contain nicotine.

If we take what they say as true, and you must bear in mind that most people do believe this without ever questioning it, then why haven't we now got a whole generation of nicotine addicts, who became addicted through all that passive smoking they used to do before the ban came in last July?

I used to use a lot of pubs before the ban came into place, and I cannot remember ever seeing groups of anti smokers and non smokers, all popping in for a 20 minute breath in, in order to get their fix.

Maybe I just didn't notice them? Can anyone else remember this happening?
redsunset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ADDICTED TO PASSIVE SMOKING?

Post  chewbacca on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:56 am

redsunset wrote:Here is something to set the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons.

We are bombarded night and day by the anti-smoking lobby, and their friends in the Big Pharmaceutical Businesses, with propaganda telling us that nicotine is highly addictive, and the only way to kick the habit, is to buy their products, which include patches and other drugs, which also contain nicotine.

If we take what they say as true, and you must bear in mind that most people do believe this without ever questioning it, then why haven't we now got a whole generation of nicotine addicts, who became addicted through all that passive smoking they used to do before the ban came in last July?

I used to use a lot of pubs before the ban came into place, and I cannot remember ever seeing groups of anti smokers and non smokers, all popping in for a 20 minute breath in, in order to get their fix.

Maybe I just didn't notice them? Can anyone else remember this happening?

I don't remember seeing them coming into my local either, but maybe that is because most of them looked almost human then. Do you remember that? They used to smile and mix with us normal people, almost as if they were one of us.

But then when the dreaded day happened, they slipped of their smiling face masks, exposing their evil snarls, and suddenly became instantly recognisable at the beasts we now call the ANTIS.

I did hear a rumour that a new horror film is being produced, entitled "The Day of the Anti" about a group of these wild eyed beasts who roam the streets ripping smokers throats out. They are keeping the end a tightly guarded secret, hopefully, it ends with a change of Government.
chewbacca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  susieq on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:54 pm

Did it not strike you that maybe they need their fix and that's why they turned into snarling anti's.....

Personally, taking the following quotes one step further, I think nicotine makes the brain more resistant to brainwashing, hence the desperate need to eliminate it so completely, and it would also account for the sudden change in many non-smokers making them so abusive and vile towards smokers.

Nicotine acts on a novel nicotinic receptor complex, identified by the Columbia group, that is strategically located at the sites of communication between neurons in the brain. At very low concentrations, nicotine activates the receptor and causes the neuron to release more neurotransmitter. The result is a much stronger signal. The researchers believe that nicotine's ability to strengthen signals between neurons may account for the complex behavioral effects of nicotine such as increased alertness and improved short-term memory.
Nicotine apparently can increase the strength of communication between neurons in the brain by increasing the release of glutamate--the key central nervous system excitatory transmitter," says principal investigator Lorna Role, associate professor in the department of anatomy and cell biology in the Center for Neurobiology and Behavior at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. "These presynaptic receptors are ideal targets for nicotine because of their location, high sensitivity to nicotine, and efficacy in enhancing transmitter release."

However, in small amounts, nicotine is a stimulant that enhances brain activity and concentration and improves cognitive processing as well as a person's memory.

susieq

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:44 am

susieq wrote:Did it not strike you that maybe they need their fix and that's why they turned into snarling anti's.....

Personally, taking the following quotes one step further, I think nicotine makes the brain more resistant to brainwashing, hence the desperate need to eliminate it so completely, and it would also account for the sudden change in many non-smokers making them so abusive and vile towards smokers.

Nicotine acts on a novel nicotinic receptor complex, identified by the Columbia group, that is strategically located at the sites of communication between neurons in the brain. At very low concentrations, nicotine activates the receptor and causes the neuron to release more neurotransmitter. The result is a much stronger signal. The researchers believe that nicotine's ability to strengthen signals between neurons may account for the complex behavioral effects of nicotine such as increased alertness and improved short-term memory.
Nicotine apparently can increase the strength of communication between neurons in the brain by increasing the release of glutamate--the key central nervous system excitatory transmitter," says principal investigator Lorna Role, associate professor in the department of anatomy and cell biology in the Center for Neurobiology and Behavior at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. "These presynaptic receptors are ideal targets for nicotine because of their location, high sensitivity to nicotine, and efficacy in enhancing transmitter release."

However, in small amounts, nicotine is a stimulant that enhances brain activity and concentration and improves cognitive processing as well as a person's memory.

Very nice first post Susieq, welcome aboard. Did you see we have an article about exactly this on our front page? You can access it here http://www.thesmokermagazine.co.uk/Page12.html

Keep up the good work
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://page2.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top